Know that it is NOT your fault. You may be replaying the situation over and over in your mind, asking yourself what you could or should have done differently. But remember, sexual violence is an act of power, and you are not responsible for another person's choices and actions! You did what you needed to do to survive. Nothing you did caused the violence!
First Steps to Consider
- Get to a safe place
- Don't shower or wash clothing
- Go to a nearby hospital or medical center
- Tell a trusted person about the incident
- Contact the Sexual Violence Support Coordinator
Student Advocacy Center, 1120 Lincoln Tower
- For help 24 hours a day, contact the Sexual Assault Response Network of Central Ohio (SARNCO) | (614) 267-7020
Need more resources? Check out the Quick Resource Guide.
Trying to help someone else? Here are some suggestions.
Need more information about types of sexual violence? Visit this page.