HIV/Chlamydia/Gonorrhea Test Counselors
The Student Life Student Wellness Center and the Multicultural Center offer FREE HIV, Chlamydia and Gonorrhea testing to all Ohio State students. The trained volunteer test counselors do not simply administer the tests; their responsibilities include helping students who are concerned about HIV/STI transmission to:
- Improve their perception of risk
- Identify their risk behaviors
- Negotiate a reasonable and realistic plan to help reduce risk
- Support the client in making a decision about testing and preparing for the result
- Help the client who tests to begin to integrate the result emotionally, behaviorally and socially.
Good test counselors are open-minded, non-judgmental, sensitive, patient, friendly and reliable. Each test counselor is required to attend a two-day training only offered at the beginning of the fall semester.
For more information on how to becoming a HIV/STI testing volunteer, please contact Lindsey Basista.